Sunday, April 24, 2011

Keep your home inventory away from home

My parents recently lost their home to a tornado. The house was demolished and my parents salvaged what they could. My mother told me that they had an inventory of their possessions stored on their computer, and that the computer wasn’t destroyed in all the devastation. Thank goodness for that. All their effort to document their possessions wasn’t lost.

This calamity reminded me of my last will and testament that I had just recently executed. I uploaded the scanned document to my Google Docs account and shared it with certain people so they have access to it in the event of my demise. I could store my home inventory in my Google Doc account, so I could access it later in the event that my home and computer is demolished.

The home inventory should be kept up to date, just like my last will and testament. Therefore, I should have triggers in place to update it every year or when a significant event occurs.

My lesson here is to keep good records of your home inventory and store those records outside of the home.

No comments: