Friday, September 19, 2008

Keep Going and Adjust: the Train is Coming

My faith keeps me going. It's taken me a while to let go of burdens and realize the nonfulfillment or unintended results of my plans are not ultimate failures. There are various factors, many of which are unknown to me, beyond my control. Instead of stressing over what I cannot control, I continue to focus on what I can control. I control my actions, not those of others. I cannot make someone hire me. I cannot make someone believe my ideas. I cannot make someone support my business ventures. I can plan and be ready when the opportunity is available. If something happens, I reassess the situation and adjust. It’s almost like I don’t have a train yet, but I can lay the track to the destination. I come upon obstacles like mountains. I assess the situation and either go around or through it.

The Prosper loan I created to personally focus on building the Triangle Networking Group didn't work. The bidding closed with only 1% funded. This is surprising considering I created a blog article stating my intentions and emailed about 450 of my LinkedIn connections requesting assistance getting the word out about what I'm doing. I know many of the 2700+ TNG members see value in the organization and many verbally support what I'm doing.

It is easy to feel distressed and neglected. However, a friend reminded me that I don't know all the factors. I don't know how many people read my email nor had the time to investigate what Prosper is. Many people may have misunderstood what I was doing. As a friend recently told me, and I have observed repeatedly in the 3 years I have led the TNG, people probably will not act if what you’re asking is not easy to understand.

People, especially professionals, will not take the time to investigate if the value is not apparent. This reluctance to investigate will hinder professional success. Have you ever heard “if I had only known it was that easy” or “I didn’t know you could do that” before from someone that didn’t take time to investigate something?

Ironically, one of my objectives for the Triangle Networking Group is to reduce the “investigational” burden on professionals through the leverage of a network. I want to support my professional community, but I need the support of my network and professional community to do so.

I will continue to lay the track in anticipation of the train. The passengers need to get to their destination.

No comments: